A Mall of America Thanksgiving



The day started with excitement.  The boys helped to pack the car in anticipation of our possibly picking them up early from school.  Josh repeatedly asked what time we would pick him up, using every ounce of his persuasive skills to convince us that the sooner we came the better.  Ryan was torn between the excitement of a movie at school and leaving for our trip.

Everyone loaded into the car.  Ryan did not even notice that we had not brought his backpack.  Josh being ever responsible had his.  I told him he would not need it and took it from him.  He adamantly argued that he still had several classes he would need his books for.  I informed him, that he would not need it for such a short day.  And we were off.

"I knew it," Josh exclaimed as we drove passed the turn for the school.  "What?" Ryan stated.  "We aren't going to school today!" Josh said.  Ryan joined in on the cheers and our trip to Minneapolis was officially started.

The drive was uneventful and making good time we arrived in Minneapolis by 1pm.  Since it was too early to check in to our hotel, we decided to stop at IKEA first.

We enjoyed IKEA and had fun shopping.  Dave rearranged the candle display and we found a great bulletin board for our Trek and Journey students.  


Aren't these cool?



We left IKEA and went to our hotel.  Josh and I made a grocery run and we unpacked and settled in.  The hotel had Chili, cornbread, salad, veggies and dip, and soda and wine free for dinner.  Which was a great bonus.  



The boys had fun swimming in the Olympic size pool and then it was time to rest up for our Thanksgiving fun.




I woke up before the rest of the family so I went and had breakfast.  I brought up some food for Josh and then Dave and Ryan went down to eat.  We packed up our picnic lunch and headed to the Mall of America.  Upon looking outside we realized that it was snowing. 

Parking was not a problem and we found a spot right by the entrance.  By 10:30am we had our bracelets on and we were ready for a day of fun.  Ryan was able to go on every ride, but it took a little convincing to work him up to a few of the rides.  Once he concurred his fear, he discovered he loved all the rides.  I also concurred fears and road on my first upside down roller coaster.  Once was enough for me, but I had done it!

Ryan watches the guys while he decides if he wants to do the skateboard ride. In the end all four of us did it.
Josh, Dave, and I are waiting for Ryan.  He rode the log ride 8 times in a row, we got off after two times.  We saw the lady who was here 4 and 5 years ago running the log ride.  She was Ryan's favorite person when he was little.
Ryan was dripping wet when he got off the log ride.
Once Ryan tried the big rides he loved them!
One time was enough for me, but at least I have proof I did it.
Lunch break!

The guys ended their day with the ropes course and zip line while I worked on beating my high score on the ghost busters game.  My high score was 1460.  Which I am mostly writing here so that I will have a place to go back to next time I come and be able to judge my success or failure.  

I also took a coffee break to warm up!

Ryan probably would have stayed at the amusement park until they closed at midnight, but Josh had enough rides and was hungry by 4:45pm.  It was time to head to Cracker Barrel. 

Our table was ready fairly quickly and we enjoyed a customized Thanksgiving dinner.  Everyone was able to have their favorites just as they liked them, which meant Ryan had pancakes, bacon, and hot chocolate :-)


Our arrival back was timed to assure we were seated and ready to watch the Packer's game.  Our night ended with a disappointing Packer's loss.  However, Ryan still deemed it the best day ever.

It took me three trips in the morning to bring breakfast in bed to the guys.  But everyone was happy with the breakfast choices.  Josh was slow to rise, so I brought Ryan down to the indoor giant play area. 

Ryan quickly made friends and played for two hours straight.  At 1pm, I made grilled cheese for lunch and then Josh joined Ryan playing.  During Ryan's play times I was able to read my book club book.  


We decided about 3pm to venture out and see how crazy it was.  The highway was at a standstill so we decided to take the side roads, which led t the discovery of a Sonic and since it was happy hour we stopped.   Nothing hits the spot like a diet cherry limeade!

The mall was packed and after 10 minutes of circling multiple floors of the parking garage, it was declared that we did not really need to go.  As we began to exit we saw a open parking spot by Nordstrom.  We turned to take it just as someone else took it.  No sooner had we said "oh well" and a car pulled out and left a spot directly in front of us.  It was decided we were meant to go in.  

We spent about an hour at the mall hitting all the important stores - See's Candies and Marbles!  We decided to stop at Walmart to see if any good deals were left and we found a couple. Then it was back to the hotel for dinner.  


While I cooked dinner, Josh relaxed and Ryan went back to the play area.  The kid never seems to get tired.  I hope he will sleep well tonight!   Our dinner was IKEA meatballs, cheesy cauliflower, green beans, peas, Mac and Cheese, and biscuits.  Needless to say, no one starved!  

Then Ryan was ready to play in the playground again and Josh and Dave played the new T&T game.  Once again, Ryan quickly made friends and spent the last two hours of the time they were open running around.  I used the time to write this blog post.


We ended the night playing games.  It was Ryan's lucky night!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Robin

The New Puppy